It’s Day 2 of our BSM 2017 Top 20 in Sports Radio, and today the focus is on the best Major Market midday programs airing across the nation. Before you skip ahead to see the rankings, let us point out a few things.
The voting for these awards each year includes a large panel of radio executives from a number of different companies. They make their choices by using the following criteria below. BSM does not vote in this process. We simply add up the votes, design the graphics, and present a collective snapshot for people inside and outside of the industry to gain a better understanding of how sports radio’s top decision makers view the format’s best programs.
- Strong local ratings in 2017
- An established track record in the format
- Spent more than six months hosting on a Major Market sports radio station
- Points are given for each ranking (EX: 20 points for 1st place, 1 point for 20th place)
We remind you that this process is an inexact science. Each member of our executive committee has different insights and preferences, and may or may not favor members of their own company or programs they’re most familiar with. We do our best to keep the process fair and balanced by having individuals involved from multiple companies and different cities, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Moving along to the rankings, at this time last year, our executive panel awarded top billing to ESPN LA 710’s Mason & Ireland. Although the Southern California duo was well represented this year too, their spot atop the midday rankings has been taken by a duo broadcasting 3,000 miles away.
The 2017 honor goes to Joe & Evan of WFAN in New York. This is their first time earning the top spot. The New York pair finished 4th in 2016 and 2nd in 2015. We extend our congratulations to Mr. Beningo and Mr. Roberts on being recognized by the panel as the best in their daypart for 2017, and every other show which earned a spot on this year’s list. Now, without further adieu, here are “BSM’s Top 20 Mid Market Midday Shows of 2017”!
- Joe & Evan received the most 1st place votes (14)
- OMF and Zo & Betrand were separated by 4 points
- Spots 12-13 and 17-18 were just 1 point apart
- John Clayton finished 21st, 7 points behind Bob, Groz & Tom
- 22-25 was Humpty/Canty/Rothenberg, Rick & John, Front Row and Bickley & Marotta
- 9 of the 37 afternoon shows eligible for consideration received a 1st place vote