On the 4th day of list-a-mania, we turn our attention to sports radio’s national shows. These programs air on some of the most recognized brands in the nation and feature some of the best talent in the format.
Before you scroll down, there are a few things to be aware of. First, the voting for this series is done by fifty one radio executives from thirty cities and thirteen companies. BSM president Jason Barrett does not vote. He simply assembles the panel and presents their collective opinions.
Secondly, we ask our voters to consider the following criteria below when judging programs. That said, each voter has different tastes, which makes this a subjective process. No list will ever satisfy every station, show or city, but what makes the BSM Top 20 series unique is that collective snapshot of the sports format’s best shows is decided on by industry executives.
- Strong ratings in 2018
- Important show/brand connection with local listeners
- Exceptional talent and content provided on a consistent basis
- Finished 2018 with the station and in the afternoon timeslot
- Points are given for each spot (EX: 20 for 1st, 1 for 20th)
Moving on to the rankings, at the top of the mountain once again is FOX Sports Radio’s Colin Cowherd. This is Colin’s third time being voted the best national host in America. He gave up that honor last year to The Dan Patrick Show but voters this year came out strongly in support of his work.
Colin’s ability to consistently deliver thought provoking opinions, interesting analogies, bold predictions, funny moments, and insightful conversations with well known sports figures, keep him top of mind with everyone, and one of the national scene’s most important personalities.
- Colin Cowherd reclaimed 1st place with a 31 point advantage over The Dan Patrick Show; Cowherd also gained the most 1st place votes (18)
- The closest races were Nick Wright over Mike Florio by 4 points, and Barstool Radio edging The Morning Men by 2 points
- Spain & Fitz finished in 21st place, 22 points behind Scott Ferrall
- 22-25 belonged to Freddie & Fitz, Ben Maller, Jason Smith and Taz & Moose
- 51 national shows were eligible for consideration, 6 received at least one (1) 1st place vote