The day after the Super Bowl is when we roll out our final awards each year, recognizing the top sports stations in America for the previous calendar year. One difference this year though, we’re also including the Top 5 Original Sports Podcasts, so keep an eye out for that list too.
Before you scroll down to see who cracked the list, remember that voting for this series is done by fifty one radio executives from thirty cities and thirteen companies. BSM president Jason Barrett does not vote. He simply assembles the panel and presents their collective opinions.
We ask our committee to consider the criteria below when judging programs. That said, each voter has different tastes, which makes this a subjective process. No list is going to please everyone, but the BSM Top 20 is unique because it offers a collective snapshot of the sports format’s best shows as decided on by industry executives.
- Strong ratings in 2018
- Important shows/brand connection with local listeners
- Exceptional talent and content provided on a consistent basis
- Makes a major difference for its local community
- Points are given for each spot (EX: 20 for 1st, 1 for 20th)
Moving on to the rankings, we have a repeat winner. 101 ESPN in St. Louis has earned the award for the 2nd straight year. 104.5 The Zone in Nashville won the award in 2016.
We congratulate Chris “Hoss” Neupert and his team on their well deserved recognition, and now present to you The BSM Top 20 Mid Market Sports Stations of 2018.
- 101 ESPN ran away with the top spot this year, holding a 59 point advantage over runner up 93.7 The Fan. The St. Louis sports station also secured the most 1st place votes with ten (10).
- The tightest races were all decided by 1 point. WJOX nipped WHB, WFNZ held off 107.5/1070 The Fan, and 102.5 The Game edged 107.5 The Fan.
- 107.5 The Fan in Green Bay finished 21st. Spots 22-25 went to Sports Radio WNML, Sports Radio 1140 KHTK, 1010XL and 1280/97.5 The Zone.
- 12 of the 47 sports stations eligible for consideration received at least one (1) 1st place vote.