We’ve reached the 3rd day of highlighting the best in the sports radio business. Today’s focus is on the top Mid Market Afternoon Shows of 2018, where two top shows on Marconi nominated stations battled for bragging rights supremacy.
Before you scroll down, there are a few things to be aware of. First, the voting for our Top 20 series is done by fifty one radio executives from thirty cities and thirteen companies. BSM president Jason Barrett does not vote. He simply assembles the panel and presents their collective opinions.
Secondly, we ask our voters to consider the following criteria below when judging programs. That said, each voter has different tastes, which makes this a subjective process. No list will ever satisfy every station, show or city, but what makes the BSM Top 20 series unique is that collective snapshot of the sports format’s best shows is decided on by industry executives.
- Strong ratings in 2018
- Important show/brand connection with local listeners
- Exceptional talent and content provided on a consistent basis
- Finished 2018 with the station and in the afternoon timeslot
- Points are given for each spot (EX: 20 for 1st, 1 for 20th)
Moving on to the rankings, we have a new king in afternoons. This year’s top honor goes to Gary Parrish of 92.9 ESPN in Memphis. Parrish takes the crown from last year’s winner The Bull and Fox of 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland.
Parrish held off The Fast Lane in St. Louis to secure the top spot. The Fast Lane actually gained more 1st place votes, but Parrish was more consistent on voter scorecards, earning a 12 point win.
Between his likability, strong ratings, high energy style, national profile, and the improved brand recognition of 92.9 ESPN, Gary’s program caught the attention of industry voters, giving Memphis their 1st victory in a Mid-Market category.
We congratulate Gary and his crew on being recognized by industry executives as the best mid market afternoon show of 2018, and tip our cap to every show which gained a spot on this year’s list. With that in mind, here are the full results of “BSM’s Top 20 Mid Market Afternoon Shows of 2018”!
- Gary Parrish finished 12 points ahead of The Fast Lane to earn the top spot; The Fast Lane though did receive the most 1st place votes (6)
- Poni & Mueller nipped 3HL by 1 point, the same was true for The Big Show over Scott & Jeremy
- Isaac & Suke finished 21st, 6 points behind Cofield & Company
- Spots 22-25 were occupied by Rip City Drive, After Further Review, Unsportsmanlike Conduct and Game Time with Heath Cline
- 16 of the 49 afternoon shows eligible for consideration received a 1st place vote