The day after the Super Bowl is when we roll out our final awards each year, recognizing the top sports stations in America for the previous calendar year. One difference this year though, we’re also including the Top 5 Original Sports Podcasts, so keep an eye out for that list too.
Before you scroll down to see who cracked the list, remember that voting for this series is done by fifty one radio executives from thirty cities and thirteen companies. BSM president Jason Barrett does not vote. He simply assembles the panel and presents their collective opinions.
We ask our committee to consider the criteria below when judging programs. That said, each voter has different tastes, which makes this a subjective process. No list is going to please everyone, but the BSM Top 20 is unique because it offers a collective snapshot of the sports format’s best shows as decided on by industry executives.
- Strong ratings in 2018
- Important shows/brand connection with local listeners
- Exceptional talent and content provided on a consistent basis
- Makes a major difference for its local community
- Points are given for each spot (EX: 20 for 1st, 1 for 20th)
Moving on to the rankings, standing on top this year is 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston. This is the 3rd time in 4 years The Hub was voted the sports format’s top station. It regains the top spot after giving it up last year to WFAN in New York.
We extend our congratulations to Mike Thomas and his staff, and now present to you The BSM Top 20 Major Market Sports Stations of 2018.
- 98.5 The Sports Hub finished forty six (46) points ahead of Sports Radio 1310/96.7 The Ticket. The Hub also recorded the most 1st place votes with sixteen (16).
- The tightest races saw KFAN hold a 3 point advantage over 97.1 The Ticket, and ESPN LA 710 nip 92.9 The Game by one (1) point.
- AM 570 LA Sports finished 21st, 9 points behind 97.5 The Fanatic. 22-25 was occupied by Sports Radio 950 KJR, WQAM, WDAE, and Xtra Sports 1360.
- 10 of the 33 stations eligible for consideration received a 1st place vote.