It’s become an annual tradition for BSM to recognize the best in the sports radio format during Super Bowl week. This is our 4th year of publishing the BSM Top 20 series, and as we’ve done each of the past three years, we kick things off by shining the spotlight on the Top 20 Major Market morning shows of 2018.
Before you scroll to look at the results, there are a few things to be aware of. First, the voting for these awards is done by a large panel of radio executives. We involved fifty one people from thirty cities and 13 companies this year in our Major and Mid Market voting process. BSM president Jason Barrett does not vote in the process.
Secondly, to create these results, we ask voters to consider the following criteria when judging the format’s best programs. Be advised, each voter values certain things more than others, so we try to gather everyone’s feedback, add it all up, and present a collective snapshot of what industry executives think.
- Strong ratings in 2018
- Important show/brand connection with local listeners
- Exceptional talent and content provided on a consistent basis
- Finished 2018 with the station and in the morning drive timeslot
- Points are given for each spot (EX: 20 for 1st, 1 for 20th)
Moving on to the rankings, the panel this year pledged their support for Boston’s ‘Toucher & Rich’ of 98.5 The Sports Hub. This is the 2nd year in a row that a Boston sports morning show has won the award. WEEI’s ‘Kirk & Callahan’ earned top honors for 2017. Minihane’s exit from the show opened the door for another program to emerge, just as WFAN parting with Craig Carton the year before set the wheels in motion for a new morning show to claim the top spot for 2017.
The Sports Hub’s morning duo enjoyed a strong 2018, delivering double digit ratings with Men 25-54 multiple times. Their consistency, ratings, and content creation resonated with executives, helping them capture the top spot for the first time in this category.
We congratulate Fred and Rich on being named this year’s top major market morning show, as well as every other program which gained a spot on this year’s list. With that in mind, here are the full results of “BSM’s Top 20 Major Market Morning Shows of 2018”!
- Toucher & Rich finished 15 points ahead of Boomer & Gio, and gained the most 1st place votes with twelve (12)
- Zaslow, Roms & Amber finished 21st, 18 points behind Mad Radio
- 22-25 belonged to Farzetta & Tra in the Morning, Chuck & Buck, Joe Rose, and Ronnie & TKras
- Houston was the only market to have three (3) shows appear on the list
- Of the 31 shows that were eligible for consideration this year, 8 receive at least one (1) 1st place vote
Here is the remaining schedule for the BSM Top 20 of 2018.
- Tuesday January 29 = The 2018 Top 20 Major and Mid-Market Local Sports Radio Midday Shows
- Wednesday January 30 = The 2018 Top 20 Major and Mid-Market Local Sports Radio Afternoon Shows
- Thursday January 31 = The 2018 Top 20 National Sports Radio Shows
- Friday February 1 = The 2018 Top 20 Major and Mid-Market Local Sports Radio Program Directors
- Monday February 4 = The 2018 Top 20 Major and Mid-Market Local Sports Radio Stations
- Tuesday February 5 = The 2018 Top 5 Original Sports Podcasts