Our 2nd day of recognizing the best in the sports radio format during Super Bowl week continues with a look at the nation’s top midday shows. For those who have asked what separates Major Markets and Mid Markets, the majors focus on markets ranked 1-20, and the mid markets focus on 21-100.
Before you scroll down to see who made the list, there are a few things to be aware of. First, the voting for these awards is done by a large panel of radio executives. We involved fifty one executives from thirty cities and thirteen companies this year in our voting process. BSM president Jason Barrett does not vote.
Secondly, in order to create these results, we ask our voters to consider the following criteria when judging the format’s best shows. That said, each voter values certain things more than others, so we try to gather everyone’s feedback, add it all up, and present a collective snapshot of what industry executives think.
- Strong ratings in 2018
- Important show/brand connection with local listeners
- Exceptional talent and content provided on a consistent basis
- Finished 2018 with the station and in the midday timeslot
- Points are given for each spot (EX: 20 for 1st, 1 for 20th)
Moving on to the rankings, the panel made it clear, Mason and Ireland of ESPN LA 710 are their choice for the top midday program of 2018. The Los Angeles duo also won this award in 2016 before being passed last year by Joe and Evan of WFAN in New York.
The chemistry, consistency, and entertainment value provided by Mason and Ireland went a long way in earning the support of industry executives. Their program has been a fixture in Los Angeles for nearly two decades, and that continued excellence is a big reason why our executive panel gave them the most 1st place votes and a 33 point win in the midday category.
We congratulate Steve, John and their crew on earning top billing as the best in the midday category, as well as every other show which gained a spot on this year’s list. With that in mind, here are the full results of “BSM’s Top 20 Major Market Midday Shows of 2018”!
- Mason & Ireland had the most 1st place votes (8) and finished 33 points ahead of BaD Radio
- Three (3) of the Top 6 middays show originated out of Dallas; New York and San Francisco also had three (3) midday shows in the Top 20
- Spots 6-9 were very close; Norm & Donovan were 1 point ahead of Gary & Larry, they were 2 points in front of Joe DeCamara & Jon Ritchie, and they ranked above Dale & Keefe by 4 points
- Carmen & Jurko finished 21st, 4 points behind Stokley & Zach and Humpty & Canty with Rothenberg
- 22-25 was Gargano & Myrtetus, Bob, Groz & Tom, Bickley & Marotta and Steinmetz & The Guru
- 12 of the 42 midday shows eligible for consideration received a 1st place vote
Here is the remaining schedule for the BSM Top 20 of 2018.
- Wednesday January 30 = The 2018 Top 20 Major and Mid-Market Local Sports Radio Afternoon Shows
- Thursday January 31 = The 2018 Top 20 National Sports Radio Shows
- Friday February 1 = The 2018 Top 20 Major and Mid-Market Local Sports Radio Program Directors
- Monday February 4 = The 2018 Top 20 Major and Mid-Market Local Sports Radio Stations
- Tuesday February 5 = The 2018 Top 5 Original Sports Podcasts