News Ticker

670 The Score Drops Jason Goff from Afternoons

A shakeup in afternoons has begun at 670 The Score in Chicago. Jason Goff has been dropped as Dan Bernstein’s partner, fourteen months after being elevated to PM drive as Terry Boers’ replacement. Goff confirmed the news on Twitter.

According to Robert Feder, The Score is expected to make Dan McNeil a featured part of the afternoon show alongside Bernstein. The Chicago sports radio veteran has been hosting a weekday show for the station as well as his own podcast. McNeil is a familiar name and voice to local listeners having previously spent time in the weekday lineup at both The Score and crosstown rival ESPN 1000.

During the fall ratings period, “Bernstein and Goff” finished 3rd with Men 25-54. They were however beaten by ESPN 1000’s afternoon show, Waddle and Silvy, which finished 1st.

42 Comments on 670 The Score Drops Jason Goff from Afternoons

1. Youngblood // March 22, 2018 at 3:27 pm //

Goff I miss you and Dan my brother. I would leave work and have you on the radio in my truck. When I got home I turned on the radio in the kitchen and listen to you and Dan until 6. I will so miss the interesting and funny conversations about sports and life. I don’t need sports 24-7. You guys had the right balance. It was like listening to friends. The crap that is on now is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring. What a HUGE mistake DeCastro made. Catering to the Meatballs! Hope to hear you on the radio real soon!

2. The show got too much into politics, racial issues, and parenting. I’m sorry, I don’t need a sports broadcaster to tell me how to feel about things or how to raise my kids. It’s sports, keep it about sports, the new show isn’t much better, never really liked Parkins, couldn’t care less about gambling or his views on much of anything. Aside from mulley and hannely I don’t listen to the station at all anymore really. And I’ve never liked Bernstein, the way he treats his callers is sickening, god forbid anyone has an opinion that isn’t shared by Dan Bernstein…

3. Great move by the score bringing back McNiel and dropping Jason Goff. Goff is knowledgeable like Bernstein but I could not stand his sanctimonious demeanor and his constant race baiting. He came off as an elitist who felt his opinions on social matters were much more enlightened than the average listener. The two of them together were just dreadful and the constant virtue signaling made me want to puke. Bernstein needs to go as well, he is an outed sexist(this cannot be refuted) and his arrogant tone is just despicable. Props to the score for acknowledging their fledgling ratings and making some moves to rectify it. A side note, speigel was so overdue to be replaced I found it hard to believe he held a spot for so long on the weekday programming. He is another sanctimonious schmuck who was deservedly canned, he too was also a sexist.

4. I will truly miss the one sports talk show I enjoyed. The deft way Bernstein and Goff highlighted social issues in their sports commentary was more real than any other talk radio show. Sports talk IS social. I admire their courage for giving their audience a format for topical discussion while remaining true to the core topic of sports. I will also miss Goff’s sense of humor and timing. Best Jason!

5. dekaderse // March 21, 2018 at 4:54 pm //

Wow just wow. Goff was very entertaining with Bernstein. The afternoon show SUCKS now. As for all the race bait, stop it this is 2018 the perspective both men brought to the afternoon show is unmatched. Their ratings may have slipped but the content didn’t Boers and Bernstein to Bernstein and Goff did not LOSE ONE STEP as compared to the cookie cutter show now.

6. Anonymous // March 21, 2018 at 4:53 pm //

They don’t have to worry about me listening anymore. In a city that is very black this was very dumb. Go ESPN 1000 I hope you destroy these jerks

7. Chicago Heights // March 20, 2018 at 10:41 pm //

Everyone keeps calling Jason racist, just because he has an opinion that you may disagree with, don’t make him racist. This country was built on disagreements. Bernstein did cut callers off with his arrogance, but he did that with his last co host as well. Ironically, I enjoyed that also. I felt like Jason kept him humble if that’s possible. Jason would let callers talk, if they made sense, then respond accordingly. It’s not their fault most major sport topics over the last year had a racial undertone. It’s unfortunate.

8. John Valentine JR // March 20, 2018 at 2:44 pm //

I miss Mike North, he was very blue-collar, he said it the way it was. He had great shows which made me laugh so much.

9. Spamkiller // March 19, 2018 at 11:43 pm //

I really liked Bernstein and Goff. They had great chemistry and lots in depth discussion, with a good amount of humor. They made the afternoons go by quickly. I streamed them to my work PC at the office while I coded Python afternoons when most developers were just trying to stay awake after lunch. Jason, good luck to you in all your future endeavors! You will be missed.

10. Good move getting rid of Goff….a snot nose jerk who loved to talk down to most callers …..guess he learned that from Bernstein…..who is also a clown too…..two small minded guys who think that brilliant stuff rolls off their lips…..well it’s stuff alright….

11. Anonymous // March 19, 2018 at 8:26 pm //

This was great news. Jason Goff came off as a know it all jerk……Bernstein and Goff can’t hold a candle to the Mully and Handley who are the gold standard….all Bernstein and Goff wanted to do was tell you every damn second how superior they are as broadcasters… of them is out now thank goodness…..lets see if Bernstein will continue to the jerk he has been in the past.

12. The show was always interesting and getting rid of Jason and Matt means they are moving towards appealing to frat boys and idiots who want to talk about gambling. The point spread yammering is hard to take, and I won’t take it, because I won’t be listening. Jason Goff coming back to Chicago was a victory. Getting Dan McNeil off the Chicago airwaves was a victory for humanity. All of you racist morons could have just listened to 890.

13. Hated racist punk GOFF but hated Bernstein more ,hope he’s gone soon also

14. I took an almost visceral dislike to Parkins the moment he took the mic on his first broadcast with Spiegel. He hogged the air that day and hasn’t stopped since. I figured he was hired to raise the station’s numbers with Millennials, but teaming him with an oldster like McNeill would seem to negate that. They might as well have paired him with Les Grobstein. Whatever the reason, I now find the afternoon show unlistenable and have found other venues for my drive-time entertainment.

I like Jason Goff and thought he was well-paired with Dan Bernstein. The social issues they talked about were always related to the sports news of the day and they brought intellect and insight that was important. Who will cover those topics now?

I’m not able to listen during Bernstein’s new show with McKnight, so I can’t weigh in, but from the comments here it sounds like it’s the sort of sports happy talk show that the new owners prefer.

In any case, I’m spending a lot less time with The Score than I used to.

15. The score would rather talk about POLITICS AND RACE than sports. These idiots need to learn people that want to listen to sports aren’t interested in either. I’m listening to am 1000. Good people talking sports and not talking down to their listeners. It’s pretty obvious why am 1000 has better ratings. Get rid of the know it all wind bag Bernstein next.

16. John vocat // March 18, 2018 at 6:02 pm //

Great move getting SWJ ass clown Goff off the air. Love the new lineup. Raymond Booker can kiss my white ass.

17. bob wire // March 17, 2018 at 3:39 pm //

Goff was on the wrong station—head over to WCPT, 820AM Chicagos Progressive Talk—join the Family Hour on Sundays, or the Rickey Hendron show on can talk all that jive nonsense all day with that crew—we wanted sports, not “my crib” “my lady” “I know the hood’ talk during sports…plus garner some active listening skills son, you are talking over others, and pushing out an agenda without listening to answers. Bernstein needs to be next, and now with Jimmy DeCastro fully in charge and Rosen knocked down a notch, Dannys SCORE days are numbered….and nice try with the racist rants if you dare disagree or offer criticism of a Black man…good grief, grow up, man up and shut up. Its what real life is about–not a bunch of self protection, quotas, and affirmative action freebies. The dude talked over people—all colors.

18. I could take or leave Goff. It never seemed to flow with Dan and him. The real tragedy is keeping Parkins over Spiegel in a major time slot. Parkins’ voice makes me wish I could reach thru my radio and punch him in the face. He is the smarmiest, douchebagiest sports personality I have ever heard. And what’s with the prolonged pronunciation of “s’s” at the end of a sentence. “I went to the store and bought some grapessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss”. Seriously….tool

19. Bring back Mike North!
    North and Goff show.
    Or even Dan Patrick!!
    Time for pompous Bernstein to go. Every time he speaks I cringe. I don’t know what worse, hearing someone scratch a chalkboard or listening to Bernstein berate and belittle a caller or subject w his pompous opinions.

20. Joshua Fenne // March 16, 2018 at 7:38 am //

I enjoyed Jason and Dan. Thought they had good chemistry. It’s too bad.

21. Tony Fitts // March 16, 2018 at 1:03 am //

Me personally I liked Jason Goff he brought good perspective, he’s a talented young man. It seem like the Score was heading in a New Direction, appealing to Old, present and new listeners. Back to Jason, I even liked the days where he was a producer. He’s Very thoughtful and has good commentary in my opinion. The move with letting Spiegel go I didn’t get that. Spiegel’s very smart and thoughtful, he has a wide range of perspectives I thought him and Parkins was a pretty good team. ( in the beginning it took a while to get use to ). Lastly, McNeil believe it or not I’ve always liked Danny Mac, however he’s very inconsistent. I know he’s had personal issues but I just like the way he brings it. I’m not quite sure about these new lineup changes, it may take me a long time to get used to it, if that even happens.

Tony Fitts

22. The only reason I tuned in to the score was to listen to Jason and Dan. Uber analytical, witty, and not afraid to broach crucial conversations were just a pixel of attributes that compelled me to listen. I am distraught over the fact that a person of color has to conform to the norms of “whiteness”
    A Score listener no more. Best of luck dan and Jason for pushing the envelope with an audience that needed to be pushed. Full disclosure- I am white

23. Raymond Booker // March 15, 2018 at 4:27 pm //

Firing Jason Goff was the last straw for me! The score can kiss my ass I’m done with them for good. To add insult to injury they bring Dan McNeil back. This guy spends more time in rehab than on the air. He’s a meathead who appeals to simple narrow minded white men like that racist asshole Ryan who commented above. Jason bought flavor to the show and fresh perspective on multiple issues and he kept Bernstein honest by not being afraid to disagree with him. This is nothing but a symptom of a much larger problem in our country that’s called white entitlement. The listeners that went down the dial didn’t care to hear issues from another ethnic perspective.When he spoke out against police violence against young black men I knew his days were numbered after that. Hes very talented and I hope he gets another chance. As for all of you McNeil lovers start a pool on how long It takes him to end up relapsing again on the coke and booze and airing his half assed pity seeking excuses for It!

24. Hey Jason I live in Mexico and listened to your podcast almost daily. Really enjoyed your views and thought you brought the best out of Bernstein, whom I actually was able to listen to while he was with you.You seem like a real cool dude with a bit of a chip on your shoulder working in an environment that seems against you at times. I´m sure you will be just fine. Good luck.

25. Scott Miller // March 15, 2018 at 11:27 am //

I could not stand the ghetto talk,glad to see him go.He was allways talking over someone else,very annoying.

26. Jason Goff is a bright guy, but talked too much about himself and his personal life. Bernstein is a pompous ass and loves to insult his listeners. Keep doing this Dan and you’ll continue to watch your ratings drop. Learn to be a little humble. Hopefully Macneil is able to stay on the straight and narrow this time around.

27. Jeff Lobdell // March 14, 2018 at 8:47 pm //

Couldn’t be happier. Wish Bernstein would go too. Now may be able to listen again from 1-6 pm.

28. Oops. I didn’t realize this was a hangout for all the real racists. I’ll just shuffle back out of the room while you celebrate at your lynch party….

29. This is so wrong on so many levels. It wasn’t that long ago I was listening to the Spiegel and Goff show

30. Donald Parham // March 14, 2018 at 7:35 pm //

Apparently the first guy who commented never listened when Terry Goers was host. But, pk.

31. Ex Score listener // March 14, 2018 at 7:01 pm //

Jason is a young talent who will rise again. Personally I don”t know how he lasted as long as he did working with hate everybody that isn’t white Spiegel and the condescending Im smarter than everyone Bernstein. He and Lawrence Holmes complemented one and other well and would have been a better fit but we no that wouldn’t have gone over well with their non minority listeners. Fuck Wscr, Im going down the dial a bit, See Ya!!

32. Drew Pastrick // March 14, 2018 at 6:37 pm //

Jason, you and your partner Dan were the best sports show in Chicago. I don’t care about the f *****g ratings over at ESPEN middays. Thank you for everything you did each and every day. I can’t wait to get back listening to you. Keep us all posted on your new venture. I wish you the very best of luck. You don’t need luck. Your great broadcaster. See ya buddy!

33. Lawrence // March 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm //

Funny that the brother was cut.

34. Ryan Gilleran // March 14, 2018 at 5:14 pm //

Thank the Lord he is gone…he is a racist and just about everything he has to say revolves around black and white. His ghetto language was annoying as hell too…now he’ll have plenty of time to hang with his homies at his crib, good riddance

35. Arquis Stewart // March 14, 2018 at 4:01 pm //

Jason was given the Mark Jackson treatment. Jackson spoke out against Donald Sterling a bit too strongly. Jason spoke out against the Blackhawks Basketball Chanters. Now he has suffered the same fate as Mark Jackson. Brothers gotta becareful in front that mic!!!!

36. The change makes me sick. Goff was a refreshing change from the typical narrow-minded moronic crap normally heard on this station.

37. Nothing but social justice warriors and race baiters!!! Thank you!!! About time!

38. The Two Race Baiters r out in the afternoons. Goff is Out which is great because he Stunk & Bernstein is demoted which for him is worse than being fired!! GREAT Day for Chicago Sports Radio

39. Goff was offensive on a regular basis. Had to change the station. Talking about grooming your junk…just one of many examples.

40. I agree and he only liked to talk about basketball. And was racist toward white people. Don’t let the door hit youj on the way out.

41. It drove me nuts how he would comment while laughing…All the time! When he spoke about Cornell U frat boys “playing” fat girls, it was cringe-worthy radio. Bernstein remained silent.

42. Tom Hart // March 14, 2018 at 9:40 am //

Goff was never a good fit. He talks over the co host and his own delivery is rambling.