Now that the Super Bowl is complete and the Philadelphia Eagles have earned their first world championship, it’s time to find out who earned the same honor in the sports radio business. Today is our final list for the 2017 campaign, and the focus is on the nation’s best Major Market sports radio stations.
Last year, 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston earned top honors, but this year that title has changed hands. Industry executives have selected WFAN in New York as the best Major Market sports radio station of 2017. This is WFAN’s fourth BSM award this year. The station already earned victories in Middays, Afternoons and the Program Director category.
If you’ve read any of the previous Top 20 pieces, then you’re aware of how the voting works. If you haven’t, here’s a quick explanation.
Our executive panel is comprised of a number of radio executives from multiple companies across the country. They vote on these awards by using the criteria below. BSM does not participate in the voting, we simply present the group’s findings. This allows people inside and outside of the radio industry to gain a better understanding of how sports radio’s top decision makers view the format’s best stations.
- Station has a great reputation both locally and nationally
- Station must have delivered strong ratings success in their local market
- Station employs dynamic talent and presents compelling content and a unique sound
- Points are to be given to each brand for a ranking (EX: 20 points for 1st place, 1 point for 20th place)
Be advised that these results are a reflection of the group’s collective opinions, which means it’s subjective. However, few can argue against the success of each of these radio stations.
I want to congratulate Mark Chernoff and the entire WFAN team on earning the respect and admiration of the sports radio industry for their performance in 2017. I’d also like to thank each executive who took part in the voting process.
Now, for the final time, Barrett Sports Media presents “BSM’s Top 20 Major Market Sports Radio Stations of 2017”!
- WFAN received the most 1st place votes (21), 98.5 The Sports Hub and WEEI were tied for 2nd with (7)
- 8 of the Top 20 stations received at least one (1) 1st place vote
- The closest finish was for 6th place where WIP edged KFAN by 2 points
- 95.7 The Game finished in 21st place, 16 points behind Sports Radio 610
- 22-25 belonged to ESPN LA 710, XTRA Sports 1360, Sports Radio 950 KJR and AM 570 LA Sports