The wait is over. It’s time to reveal the sports radio format’s Top 20 Mid Market morning shows of 2017. Before we get started, here are a few things to be aware of.
The voting for these awards is done by a large panel comprised of radio executives from a number of different companies. They make their choices by using the following criteria below. BSM does not vote in this process. We simply add up the votes, design the graphics, and present a collective snapshot for people inside and outside of the industry to gain a better understanding of how sports radio’s top decision makers view the format’s best programs.
- Strong local ratings in 2017
- An established track record in the format
- Quality content delivered on a consistent basis
- Spent more than six months hosting on a Major Market sports radio station
- Points are given for each ranking (EX: 20 points for 1st place, 1 point for 20th place)
When this award was voted on last year, St. Louis sports radio host Bernie Miklasz of 101 ESPN earned top honors. For 2017, Miklasz can breathe a sigh of relief and light up a cigar because he has once again been chosen by our executive panel as the top Mid Market morning show of 2017.
Bernie’s ability to drive ratings and revenue have been vital to 101 ESPN’s success. He has been St. Louis’ go to source for sports information and opinion for decades, and this latest recognition is an added bonus on top of a brand new contract with Hubbard Radio and the addition of on-air partner Michelle Smallmon.
We extend our congratulations to Bernie and the 101 team, as well as every other show which earned a spot on this year’s list. Now without further adieu, here are “BSM’s Top 20 Mid Market Morning Shows of 2017”!
- Bernie Miklasz received the most 1st place votes (8); Carman & Lima had the second most (3)
- Wake Up Zone edged the Morning Animals by 1 point; Bruce Hooley did the same to DJ & PK
- 7 of the 30 morning shows eligible for consideration received a 1st place vote
- The Bottom Line w/ Chip Brown finished 21st, 7 points behind The Drill
- 22-25 were The Morning After, Franchise Mornings, The Show w/ No Name and Cole Cubelic
- This is the first appearance on the list for Carmichael Dave, Bruce Hooley and The Deener Show