The wait is over. It’s time to reveal the sports radio format’s Top 20 Major Market morning shows of 2017. Before we get started though, here are a few things to be aware of.
The voting for these awards is done by a large panel comprised of radio executives. They make their choices by using the following criteria below. Many have different insights and preferences, and some may or may not favor members of their own company or programs they’re more familiar with. We try to keep things fair and balanced by including people from multiple companies and different cities, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
BSM does not vote in this process. We simply add up the votes, design the graphics, and present a collective snapshot for people inside and outside of the industry to gain a better understanding of how sports radio’s top decision makers view the format’s best programs.
- Strong local ratings in 2017
- An established track record in the format
- Quality content delivered on a consistent basis
- Spent more than six months hosting on a Major Market sports radio station
- Points are given for each ranking (EX: 20 points for 1st place, 1 point for 20th place)
Moving on to the rankings, “Boomer & Carton” of WFAN in New York won this award each of the past two years. However, Carton and The Fan parted ways in September, leaving Esiason to go thru a morning show host search for the final few months of the year before deciding on Gregg Giannotti to be his new radio partner in 2018. Those changes left the door open for another program to break thru and the executive panel found that show in Boston’s “Kirk & Callahan.”
The WEEI morning duo thrived in 2017, turning in double digit ratings, and finishing 1st with Men 25-54 during the spring, summer and fall books. They were 2nd in the winter book too. Boston has been a hotbed for sports radio for decades and Kirk and Gerry’s unconventional approach to delivering must-listen programming for Boston sports radio fans has served them well and gained the attention and respect of our voters.
We salute Kirk & Gerry on earning this year’s top honor, as well as each of the other morning shows who were recognized. Now, here are the full results of “BSM’s Top 20 Major Market Morning Shows of 2017”!
- Kirk & Callahan had the most 1st place votes (17); The Musers were second (9)
- Hardwick & Richards finished 21st, 8 points behind Cooley & Kevin
- 22-25 belonged to Joe/Lo/Dibs, Nick & Chris, Ronnie & TKras and Fricke & Douglas
- 9 of the 28 morning shows eligible for consideration received a 1st place vote
- This is Josh Innes’ first appearance on the list in mornings
- Dan Sileo is no longer hosting mornings on the Mighty 1090
- WFAN has since added Gregg Giannotti to mornings with Boomer Esiason