A couple of news stories from around the sports media world. As always, if you have a tip, press release or story you want to share, send it to JBarrett@sportsradiopd.com.
- Former ESPN College Football reporter Joe Schad announced on social media that he’s returning to Florida to cover the Miami Dolphins for the Palm Beach Post. It’ll be Schad’s second tenure with the Post. Schad spent 11 years with ESPN. His contract with the network expired in June and was not renewed.
- Jane Slater is joining the NFL Network. The former 105.3 The Fan midday host spent the past two years working for ESPN’s Longhorn Network. She says she’ll be based in Dallas, but will be spending the next month in Oxnard, California covering the Dallas Cowboys during training camp.
- Craig Sager will undergo a bone marrow transplant, causing him to miss working the sidelines for Men’s basketball games during the Olympics. To fill his role, NBC is turning to Ros Gold-Onwude. She is already in Rio working the women’s games, and has a great relationship with many of the stars on the men’s team due to her regular work as the sideline reporter on Golden State Warriors games.
- Mike Heller is filling in through Wednesday on the “Dan Patrick Show”. The Wisconsin talk show host has now filled in on the DP show over 30 times during the past three and a half years.
- The Sporting News has hired Alex Marvez as their new NFL columnist. The veteran sports writer also contributes to SiriusXM’s NFL Radio channel.
- WJOX in Birmingham is adding Cole Cubelic and John Parker Wilson as contributors for the upcoming football season. Details regarding their appearances are not yet available.
- Geoffrey Chiles announced via Twitter that he’ll be joining Sports Talk 1050 WTKA in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Chiles will be producing a new program on the radio station.
- Sid Rosenberg announced via Facebook that he’ll soon be debuting a sports podcast. The longtime sports talk show host switched formats in January when he moved from Miami to the big apple to fill the midday slot on WABC 770AM.