“Unless callers are going to advance the conversation, they’re not as necessary on a show with two voices. But I will staunchly defend solo hosts taking calls because you have to do that and break things up.” – Lachlan McLean
Lachlan McLean knew the “New York businessman” lifestyle wasn’t for him. So much so that he had zero problem taking a 67 percent pay cut.
All to get into what he was doing in college… something he loved… sports.
After a lengthy stint in television, which included following his then-girlfriend-now-wife from smaller markets, McLean is now one of the most respected sports radio voices in the Louisville, Ky.–one of the few markets that has, as he puts it, “built-in conflict” everyday on the air. McLean is in his 12th year as a host there, now with ESPN 680 in the Derby City.
Hear more about his journey which includes networking his way into ESPN, how he went from a solo host to a two-man show, what makes a college sports market so much more interesting than a pro-heavy market and more in this episode of The PASR.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE
- Being a listener of the PASR and industry friend of Zach’s
- Transitioning from investment banking into sports media
- Working at ESPN as a Production Assistant during the early years
- Getting his break in a smaller market and meeting his wife there
- Moving to Louisville and landing an opportunity in television
- Calling national shows with Steve Czaban, Papa Joe and Kiley & Booms
- Landing a chance to host sports talk on 840 WHAS for 11 years
- Moving to Charlotte for his wife but the situation not working out
- Returning to Louisville and landing his new show on ESPN 680
- How he networked his way to ESPN and got hired by Al Jaffe
- The differences between his show at 840 WHAS and ESPN 680
- His assessment of how the sports talk radio format has evolved
- Why college sports rivalry markets excite him the most as a host
- The times when it makes sense to take phone calls or steer clear from it
- His pet peeves – asking poor questions, taking yourself too seriously, bad guy talk
FROM THE GUEST
Lachlan’s Twitter handle: @LachTalk
The Podcast About Sports Radio is proud to partner with Barrett Sports Media. For the latest sports radio news around the country, as well as insights and opinions from Jason Barrett and some of the brightest minds in sports media, visit the sports radio industry’s premier website sportsradiopd.com.