“I’ve never been afraid to be the caustic antagonist. I don’t like spoon feeding propaganda radio. If the home team does well, you need to say that. But, if they play poorly you have to say that too.” – Tim Benz
Benz, born in Boston, made a name for himself in Pittsburgh sports radio and television, before giving it a successful, albeit it taxing, go at WEEI in Boston.
Now, back in Pittsburgh, with the exception of his regular gig as pregame show host on the Steelers Radio Network, Benz has pulled a “Kornheiser.” He’s gone to the internet!
Hear about how to host in a market outside your hometown, how to successfully host a pregame show, how to succeed in podcasting and much more in this episode of The PASR.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE
- The launch of his new daily podcast in Pittsburgh on DK Pittsburgh Sports
- How he got his start in the sports broadcasting business
- Starting in news radio and utilizing his connections from Syracuse University
- The challenge of being an antagonist in a world that leans towards homerism
- Being opinionated and how it factors into working for a flagship station
- What made his situation in Boston at WEEI a tough one to overcome
- What regrets he has from his time working in Boston at WEEI
- The challenges that come from hosting an NFL pre-game show
- Similarities and differences he’s noticed from Patriots and Steelers fans
- What his plans are for his new digital venture on DK Pittsburgh Sports
- The challenge of selling sports radio and what he’s learned from doing it
FROM THE GUEST
Tim’s Twitter handle: @TimBenzPGH
The Podcast About Sports Radio is proud to partner with Barrett Sports Media. For the latest sports radio news around the country, as well as insights and opinions from Jason Barrett and some of the brightest minds in sports media, visit the sports radio industry’s premier website sportsradiopd.com.