The past four days we’ve focused on the talent, and for good reason, they are after all the reason listeners tune in each day. But today we’re going to turn our attention to the masterminds behind the scenes who build and manage America’s top rated sports radio brands and personalities.
Yes my friends, it’s time to give some respect and appreciation to the Program Director. To listeners, they’re known as the individual who takes up space in the office, interferes with the show too much, and has no idea what good radio sounds like. I should know, I’ve held the title 5 different times, and the collection of insults I’ve heard could fill a book.
However, these people are important because what an audience listens to each day depends on their decision making. The way a team works together, and maintains its creativity and performance is often a result of the way they’re managed. The PD as we call the position in the industry, tracks the way the audience listens, works with the sales team and their clients on ways to utilize the radio station’s airwaves, and they have a hand in nearly every part of the operation’s business and programming decisions. The identity of a brand and it’s success or failure is often a result of the programmer’s vision.
The voting for the Top Sports Radio Program Director of 2015 was done by 35 radio executives from 15 different companies and 23 U.S cities. I did not vote for the award myself. To determine which individuals warranted consideration as the format’s best, the voters used the following criteria.
- Ratings success in their local market
- An established track record in the format
- Spent more than 2/3 of the year managing a sports radio station including finishing the year employed at the same station
- Points are to be given for each ranking (EX: 20 points for 1st place, 1 point for 20th place)
The results are a reflection of the group’s collective opinions, and I remind you that they are subjective. That said, few can argue that each of these individuals have earned the industry’s respect and are known for having done excellent work on a consistent basis.
I want to extend my appreciation to the executive committee who voted to help create these results. Now, Barrett Sports Media proudly presents “America’s Top 20 Sports Radio Program Directors” as part of “The 2015 Best in Sports Radio Awards“!
- Mark Chernoff finished 6 points ahead of Mike Thomas for 1st place
- Chernoff earned the highest amount of 1st place votes (15)
- Mike Thomas received the 2nd most 1st place votes (10)
- Ryan Maguire finished 21st, 18 points behind Brian Long