Part 1 – Episode #29
Part 2 – Episode #30
“I think early on my biggest weakness was taking myself too seriously, but again, to Dan [LeBatard]’s credit, he kind of got that out of me.” – Jon “Stugotz” Weiner
Imagine a guy in love with sports radio, so much so that he decided he’d leave a nice little job at Madison Square Garden, in the shadows of his hometown, to pursue it.
Sure, it was Miami, but the tradeoff was that Jon Weiner would be paid in something that resembled a slight upgrade over donuts.
And then he loved sports radio so much that he’d start his own station.
And then, eventually, be on ESPN Radio.
You might believe it. But then again, with the character he plays on radio, you might not believe that this was Stugotz–the sports-loving, say-whatever-consequences-be-damned jokester who co-hosts The Dan LeBatard Show with Stugotz on ESPN Radio.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR. I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Stugotz recalls how he came to the realization that sports radio was something that he wanted to do.
- Stugotz takes us on a journey down memory lane, which included a stint working under Hank Goldberg.
- How did Stugotz help start 790 The Ticket in Miami?
- Stugotz talks about how 790 the ticket became the number one sports station in the market.
- Was there a moment where Stugotz thought the show was going to be a long term thing?
- How much different is Jon Weiner from Stugotz?
- Stugotz explains the difficulties of working morning and afternoon shows at one point, and eventually parting ways with then executive producer Marc Hochman.
- “I don’t measure consequences really well…” Stugotz mentions the biggest annoyance that Dan has with him.
- Stugotz mentions what annoys him most about Dan.
- Stugotz lets us know what some of his favorite show benchmarks are.
- Stugotz tells us who he thinks is great at sports radio, besides anyone inside his show.
- “How do I do what Dan and Stu are doing…” Stugotz gives us some valuable advice on how to not only get your foot in, but also succeed in this business.
- Everyone has weaknesses, but what is Stugotz’s?
- Stugotz informs us of some of his biggest influences, outside of people at his workplace.
- Stugotz reflects on that one moment where he realized he made it in this business.
- Why was it such a significant moment when Stugotz was able to bring his dad to ESPN to watch him do First Take live?
- How long was Stugotz going to give himself to make it in radio, and what would his alternative option be?
- Stugotz’s twitter handle: @Stugotz790
- Here’s some bonus audio that we left off the podcast just for you junkies. More with Jon “Stugotz” Weiner.