“There’s a conventional way to do things and I don’t want to do it that way. I want to do things that are a bit different and do challenge convention.” – Damon Amendolara
Damon Amendolara’s climb up to national sports talk radio host is well-deserved, if for no other reason than he’s willing to be creative and take chances with things that might be unorthodox on the air.
In other words, a missed shot is better than no shot at all when it comes to Damon. That and his obvious talent for the industry make it no surprise that he is a budding star in the sports radio world.
We talk about those creative juices, roadblocks to success, whose great in this medium and a lot more.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR. I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- We start early in the phone call, in what we thought was going to be the pre-interview. Damon talks about how he found the podcast and how the podcast got started. [2:52]
- Damon talks about how he got interested in the sports radio industry. [4:59]
- Damon describes the moment he thought sports radio could be a career. [8:23]
- Damon talks about the continuous discomfort that comes with the sports radio business. [10:29]
- Damon talks about how his style has evolved over the course of his career. [11:31]
- Damon talks about the “good radio funnel” and what is at the bottom of that funnel. [14:26]
- Damon talks about his biggest sports radio weakness. [17:29]
- Damon on whose great at sports radio. [19:02]
- Damon gives his sports radio host pet peeves. [21:06]
- Damon talks about what he would be doing for a career if not sports radio. [23:36]
- Damon talks about how different radio is now with the advent of the internet. [26:39]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST
- Books Damon is reading…
- Smarter Than You Think by Clive Thompson**
- Furious Cool: Richard Pryor and the World That Made Him by David Henry & Joe Henry
- Damon on CBS Sports Radio: 6-10pm ET
- Damon on Twitter: @DAonCBS
- Damon on Facebook
- Damon on YouTube
- Damon on Instagram
- Audible: I know you love audio. So I teamed up with Audible and if you haven’t already, you can grab an awesome audiobook from their enormous library of over 180,000 titles for FREE. Go to aboutsportsradio.com/audible.**
- Here’s some bonus audio that we left off the podcast just for you junkies. More with Damon Amendolara.