“…if that means doing something that pisses off my wife or makes things uncomfortable, then I got to deal with it. But, my job is to make good radio.” – Nick Wright
When you google “Nick Wright,” you’ll get links to two separate people–a huge bodybuilder… and then the Nick we talked to!
He’s the opposite from the bodybuilding Nick Wright in stature, but not in opinion at all.
Nick was an instant success in sports talk in his hometown on Kansas City before taking the leap to a top-10 market at Sports Radio 610 in Houston. You don’t do that without being uniquely qualified as an entertainer.
He doesn’t give a sh*t what you think while at the same time having the self-awareness to know that he’s not right all of the time.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR. I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Nick talks about his sports radio addiction beginning at a young age, by calling into radio shows. [3:58]
- Nick talks about how there was never a moment where there he didn’t think he’d be in sports radio. [7:53]
- Nick talks about the first time he thought he was good at his job. [11:15]
- Nick on how hard it was for him to leave a successful job in his hometown. [13:57]
- Nick on what it’s like to criticize other media members in his market. [17:53]
- Nick on the biggest differences between doing his team-based show during the week and his solo show on the weekend. [20:32]
- Nick on the maddest he’s ever been on air. [23:26]
- Nick on whose great at sports radio. [26:13]
- Nick on his biggest pet peeves of other sports radio hosts. [30:11]
- Nick brings up a story about Adam Carolla that bugs him. [33:40]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST
- Nick on CBS Sports Radio: 6-10pm ET
- Nick on Sports Radio 610 Houston: 6-10am CT
- Nick on Twitter: @getnickwright
- Audible: I know you love audio. So I teamed up with Audible and if you haven’t already, you can grab an awesome audiobook from their enormous library of over 180,000 titles for FREE. Go to aboutsportsradio.com/audible.**
- Here’s some bonus audio that we left off the podcast just for you junkies. More with Nick Wright.