“You can have a much bigger impact not coaching, I’ve found, in the media than you can while you are coaching.” – Dan Dakich
Dan Dakich has gone from coach of Indiana University basketball to sports talk radio host and, now, TV analyst for college basketball games on ESPN. It’s obviously been a different road for him to where he is.
Where Dakich is now is somewhere between doing what he loves… and euphoria. The choices that he has made in recent years have led him to a very happy life, including the choice he made to get into sports radio with the ability to thrive in it due to his unique, tell-it-how-it-really-is-and-not-the-fake-kind-of-tell-it-how-it-really-is style.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR.
I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Dan talks about his affinity not just for sports radio, but for radio in general, as a kid. [3:30]
- Dan, a former college basketball coach, looks at coaches totally differently now that he’s in the media. [4:50]
- Does Dan have any aspirations to get back into coaching? [6:36]
- When Dan realized that this sports talk radio thing could become an actual career. [9:06]
- How Dan describes his own show. [11:01]
- What is it about Colin Cowherd? [12:58]
- Dan talks about the parallels between coaching styles and talk radio styles. [15:00]
- Dan talks about the one time he almost got in trouble on-air. [16:16]
- The dynamic between Dan and his producer. [18:11]
- Dan talks about his boring life and how it helps him prepare for his radio show. [21:15]
- Dan’s biggest pet peeve about other sports radio hosts. [23:48]
- Dan works holidays! [24:50]
- Dan gives the biggest differences between working nationally with a co-host and working locally as a solo act. [25:28]
- What sports radio goals does Dan Dakich still have to reach? [27:28]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST
- Listen to Dan, 12 noon to 3 p.m. ET: 1070thefan.com/listen
- Dan’s writing for ESPN.com
- Dan on Twitter: @DanDakich
- Audible: I know you love audio. So I teamed up with Audible and if you haven’t already, you can grab an awesome audiobook from their enormous library of over 180,000 titles for FREE. Go to aboutsportsradio.com/audible. **
- Here’s some bonus audio that we left off the podcast just for you junkies. Here’s more with Dan Dakich.